better meddle...

wi' the de'il than the bairns o' fa'kirk

Match Report

Sunday, 28th September, 2008

by Ewan Smith

SCOTT ARFIELD netted a superb double to lift Falkirk up the charts - then launched an appeal for generous punters to help him Roll With It at the Oasis concert. Arfield equalled last term's haul of three goals with a superb solo strike and late clincher from the spot following earlier efforts from Burton O'Brien and Steve Lovell.

Hamilton netted a late consolation with an own goal from Bairns keeper Robert Olejnik but it couldn't take the shine off Arfield's heroics.

Now the midfielder is desperate to follow up his wonder show by seeing his heroes belt out Wonderwall - if he can get his hands on a ticket.

Arfield said: "It was a funny celebration after my second goal. I went to the corner flag and pretended it was a microphone because I'm desperate to go to the Oasis concert with my brother Stuart in Glasgow in November.

"We can't get tickets anywhere but keep talking about it. I'm sure my brother knew exactly what I was doing.

"The goals were a big boost because I want to hit double figures this season."

While this was a hugely impressive win Falkirk were made to graft all the way by a Hamilton side who pressed for long spells in the first period.

Powered by teenage talisman James McCarthy, the away team could well have been ahead at the break.

McCarthy fired just wide from 25 yards early on and was again involved as James McArthur set up Derek Lyle for a low drive well saved by Olejnik.

Falkirk defender Darren Barr got out of jail twice in the space of five minutes.

First his slack backpass to Olejnik was charged down by Joel Thomas only for the ball to spin off the Hamilton striker and fly out for a goal kick.

Then Barr tripped McCarthy perilously close to the penalty box and was lucky ref Mike Tumilty only awarded a free-kick. Bairns used that let-off to tighten their grip on the game and Graham Barrett twice came close from 15 yards, seeing one strike saved by Tomas Cerny and another hit the side-netting.

And just before the break the hitman set up the opener as his strike was bundled over the line by Lovell.

The second half belonged to Arfield but only after Hamilton sub Stephen Ettien's header hit a post in 57 minutes. The midfielder grabbed his first goal after a superb solo run past two defenders ended with a sweet finish past Cerny.

Burton O'Brien made it 3-0 moments later from 30 yards and when David Graham tripped Gerard Aafjes, Arfield hit the penalty low past Cerny.

Hamilton pulled one back as the Bairns defence somehow let Trent McLenahan's cross creep over the line via Olejnik's hand but it was too late to matter.

Falkirk boss John Hughes said: "Scott was immense and has a real chance to make it big in the game.

"He listens, works with a smile and is humble. If he keeps all these attributes he'll have a huge future."

REF WATCH: MIKE TUMILTY got all the key decisions right - including denying Accies a first-half penalty - and only booked one player in an easy day's work when flashpoints were few and far between. The whistler allowed the game to flow well. Rating: 7/10